The state offered land at ten dollars for a hundred acres in 1785, and in that year Thomas Taylor, Wade Hampton, and Timothy Rives bought 18,500 acres on both sides of Gill Creek. Wade Hampton took the land on the side of the creek extending to Millwood. Col. Taylor’s portion lay on the side toward Columbia. With this purchase, Thomas Taylor became the owner of all of the land on which present day Forest Acres lies. The land was made up of various areas, some of which would later be called Edgehill, Bethel Church, Quinine Hill and Dent’s Pond (Forest Lake).
Leave a Reply