2018-07-06 / On Second Thought

Quirky Crimes in the Capital City

West Columbia

Augusta Road: A man was arrested at 4:30 p.m. Thursday after he was seen changing prices on a bottle of clothes detergent by a store security guard watching him on a surveillance camera. The guard approached the man and detained him before calling police. When the officers arrived, the guard showed them footage of the man peeling off the actual price of the $ 19.99 detergent and replacing it with a $9.99 price tag. The man admitted he changed the price, but told officers although he “knew” it was wrong, he “had to do it” so that he would have enough money to stay in a motel that night. He tried to explain his clothes were dirty and he needed to wash them but in order to use the motel washer, he had to be a guest there. Unfortunately for the man, a computer check revealed he had a prior shoplifting charge he never appeared in court for and there was a warrant for his arrest. He was additionally charged with the detergent theft and then trespassed from the store and its surrounding property before being taken to jail. t12th Street: A man called police at 1:30 p.m. to report a woman had assaulted him. When the officers arrived, they found the man standing in the front yard of the house at the address he had given to police dispatch. His neck was bloody and scratched and his shirt was badly ripped. He told the officers his female house guest got extremely angry because she was hungry and wanted him to go get her something to eat. When he told her he’d go a little later, that’s when he said she “went crazy” and began to punch him in the head, face and upper body with her fists. He said he tried to move away from her but that’s when she grabbed his shirt and ripped it. He said that was also the time she “clawed” his neck. The officers separated the two to continue questioning them and the woman denied any physical altercation took place and she had “no idea” how the man got his bruises and scratch marks. There were no marks on the woman and she said the man never touched her. She did admit to being “really pissed” the man refused to get her food but she said the argument never “came to blows.” Due to the evidence at the scene, the officers believed the man and the woman was charged with assault and battery and taken to jail.

Return to top