2018-05-11 / On Second Thought

Historic Columbia announces 2018 Preservation Award winners

Contributed by Anna Kate Twitty


Adaptive Use—Indah Coffee/ Circa Barber Shop Adaptive Use—Indah Coffee/ Circa Barber Shop Historic Columbia is proud to announce the recipients of its 2018 Preservation Awards.

Each May, in conjunction with National Preservation Month, Historic Columbia presents these awards to celebrate the accomplishments of local property owners; professionals in the fields of architecture, construction and design; and leaders who champion preservation as an opportunity to support the Midlands’ economy and culture.

These awards, presented Thursday, May 3 at the organization’s annual Preservation Awards Luncheon, encourage and promote the importance of local preservation.

“The 2018 Preservation Award recipients are leading the way in ensuring Columbia’s built history is retained and celebrated for future generations,” said Robin Waites, Historic Columbia’s executive director. “While we can use our research and experience to craft the case for preservation— it is the building owners, developers, architects, and contractors who provide the financial, creative and sweat equity to make the advocacy pay off.”


Preservation/Restoration— Seegers-Habenicht Preservation/Restoration— Seegers-Habenicht Historic Columbia honored the following recipients in the areas of Preservation Leadership, Preservation/ Restoration, Adaptive Use and New Construction in a Historic Context.

• Preservation Leadership Award: Waverly Neighborhood Association

Bounded by Harden, Taylor and Gervais streets along Millwood Avenue, the Waverly Neighborhood emerged from a former antebellum plantation into an area that was a bustling hub of African American life in the early to mid-20th century.

• Adaptive Use Award: 1402 Jim Hamilton Boulevard, Curtiss-Wright Hangar

Constructed in 1929, the Curtiss-Wright Hangar remains one of the few extant and unmodified examples of a Curtiss- Wright designed hangar in the United States. During its early years, the building boasted not only entertainment air shows, but also visits from Amelia Earhart and President Franklin Delano Roosevelt.

• Adaptive Use Award: 2238 Sumter Street, Indah Coffee/Circa Barber Shop

Built for Dunn Electric in the early 1940s, the structure at 2238 Sumter Street continues to serve the evolving Cottontown neighborhood. The building’s façade was retained, bricked-up windows re-opened, and the Dunn Electric mural signage restored. The front-most retail space was redesigned for use by Indah Coffee as an open-concept coffee counter.

• Adaptive Use Award: 1621 Main Street, The Grand/Robinson Building

From grocers to retailers to Columbia’s leading Vaudeville house, the Robinson Building has undergone multiple transformations since its construction in 1866. Now home to The Grand, 1619-1621 Main Street has been restored to showcase rich historical detailing, both inside slip-over façade and out.

• Adaptive Use Award: 2428 Main Street, Wilson Upholstery Build- ing/Studio 2LR

The former Wilson Upholstery Building now houses the offices of Studio 2LR, an architecture and interiors firm.

• Adaptive Use Award: 2025 Barnwell Street, The Parker Annex

Constructed around 1910 as over flow housing for the State Hospital, the Parker Annex is the last remaining building on the Bull Street campus built exclusively for African American patients.

• Preservation/ Restoration Award: 1622-35 Main Street, Seegers- Habenicht

Built in the aftermath of the Civil War, John C. Seegers’ and Christopher C. Habenicht’s saloon and brewery opened in late 1865. In 2015, CLM Properties bought the property, returning it to the family of its original owners. Based on a family photo, the owners working with the architect and the City of Columbia’s Preservation office, carefully rehabilitated the façade to its original 19th century appearance.

• Preservation/ Restoration Award: 4017 Kilbourne Road

Built in 1959 for Judge Lester Bates Jr. by Columbia architect Robert N. Jackson, this mid-century ranch house was a labor of love for homeowners Andy and Katie Gainey.

• Preservation/ Restoration Award: 301 South Saluda Avenue

Homeowners Mira and John Howard began renovations to their craftsman bungalow in May 2017.

• New Construction in a Historic Context Award: Green Tree House at Wavering Place

Constructed as an open-air pavilion, Wavering Place’s Green Tree House marries the site’s historic fabric with the rolling landscape.

• New Construction in a Historic Context Award: Shandon Presbyterian

Established in 1916, Shandon Presbyterian Church sought to restore its sanctuary in preparation for its 100th anniversary. The extensive renovation aimed at stripping the space back to its original 1916 appearance while adding modern amenities.

Return to top