2017-10-06 / Society

Main Street UMC dedicates renovated sanctuary and Eagle Lectern at 169th anniversary

Contributed by Johnny Jackson


The Eagle Lectern The Eagle Lectern On October 15, 2017, Main Street United Methodist Church will celebrate its 169th anniversary with a homecoming service and lunch. The service will feature a time of dedication for the newly renovated sanctuary and the newly installed Eagle Lectern. The service will also feature music from the Union United Methodist Church of Irmo sanctuary choir as well as the Main Street choir.

Main Street’s historic sanctuary was originally built in 1898. Its interior was last renovated in 1922 after a fire in 1921. The renovations feature a significant enlargement of the chancel, the removal of the fixed choir railing, the installation of an accessibility lift, moving of the organ console from the choir loft to the side of the chancel, the removal of the carpeting from the front third of the sanctuary floor, and the refinishing of the 100 year-old heart pine floors.

Main Street UMC has had a centrally located pulpit since 1898, but with these new renovations now has a split chancel with pulpit to the left, lectern to the right, and the altar is in the center.

Main Street UMC will formally dedicate its “new” 100 year-old Eagle Lectern on homecoming day. Eagle lecterns are prominent features of Anglican and Episcopal Cathedrals and have been focal points in worship spaces for centuries.

The Eagle represents St. John the evangelist, whose gospel has long been regarded as the highest of the gospels for the purpose of evangelism and sharing the gospel.

The “new” lectern served previously for generations in a parish church in England before being procured from an antique dealer in Edinburgh, Scotland. The beautiful lectern is hand carved from English oak and the eagle portion at the top swivels 360 degrees on the pedestal base. The Eagle Lectern and a new Cambridge NRSV Pulpit Bible have been graciously received by the church as gifts from the Jackson family. An inscribed plaque to be attached to the lectern will read:

To the Glory of God and in honor of our daughter, Lee Anne Jackson Stoddard and in memory of our daughter, Mary Beth Jackson, and their grandparents, Samuel “Sam” and Ruth Winifred “Winnie” Jackson and their descendants who have faithfully served Main Street United Methodist Church for 100 years with their presence, gifts, and service. John L. "Johnny" and Leola J." Lee" Jackson - October 2017

Return to top