2011-09-23 / On Second Thought

Quirky Crimes in the Capital City

Forest Acres

tForest Drive, 4000 block: Police were called to a grocery store at 3 p.m. Sunday after employees said a man had stolen a large amount of paper goods. They told officers the man came in and got a bunch of paper towels, toilet paper, and diapers from the shelves, put them in his cart and then left the store without paying. Once in the parking lot, he loaded the items in a waiting truck and took off. What he didn’t realize was that the surveillance cameras had caught him on tape as he made his heist in the parking lot. Police were able to see the truck as well as get the license plates. tIdalia Drive, 1500 block: A woman called police at 2:30 a.m. Sunday after she said a man was harassing her. The woman was staying with a male friend, and he told officers the harassing man showed up in the wee hours of the morning extremely intoxicated. He said he told the 26- year-old man the 31-year-old woman had made it clear she didn’t want to see the man, but the man was insistent. After a brief argument, he left the yard but then began making a series of phone calls to the woman and during the calls he said he was coming back to see her, and if she refused to see him he was staging a home invasion on both the woman and her new roommate. The male roommate of the woman told officers he wanted the man trespassed from the property, and he would press charges if necessary.

Richland County

tTwo Notch Road, 5700 block: A man had to be taken to the hospital at 1 a.m. Sunday after an officer on patrol saw him walking down the road with head injuries and wearing nothing but boxer shorts and a bloody t-shirt. When the officer stopped to help the man, the man told him his nephew had come to his home and insisted he accompany the nephew to a place where they could talk. The 40-year-old man agreed to go with the nephew, but when they arrived, the nephew began to accuse his uncle of stealing his clothes. Then four other men appeared, and they all began attacking the uncle. They beat him about the chest and face until he fell down, and then they began to kick him in the ribs, stomach, and head. It was never clear what the argument or the beating was about. The man endured lacerations, cuts, and bruises along with a black eye. He had a huge cut on his head as well. He told officers he was willing to prosecute his assailants. tBethel Church Road, 4000 block: A woman called police at 10 p.m. Saturday after she got a pizza delivered to her home that she never ordered. The 28-year-old woman told officers a former friend of hers was trying to maintain the relationship by calling her continuously and harassing her. She filed a report earlier this month and has since changed her phone number, but on Saturday the man had gotten her new number and had a pizza delivered to her home. She told officers his attempts to renew their relationship were getting worse every day, and she wanted to file a restraining order and prosecute if he continues to badger her. tPercival Road, 300 block: Police were called to a home at 7:30 p.m. Saturday after a mother said a neighbor boy had shot her daughter in the leg with a BB-gun. The mother told officers her family and the family of the boy who shot her daughter used to be friendly with each other, but they had recently had a falling out. She said her 13- year-old daughter told her the 10-year-old shooter stared at her without speaking for a minute and then aimed his gun toward her leg. The boy denied shooting the girl on purpose and told officers it was an accident. The boy’s mother confiscated the gun and both parties agreed not to socialize with each other and to keep their distance.

West Columbia

tNorth Line Street, 300 block: A man was arrested at 12:30 a.m. Tuesday after neighbors complained he was causing a disturbance at a child’s birthday party. It was unclear how old the birthday child was, but when officers arrived, they found a 25-year-old man on the front porch of the residence, and he was obviously very drunk. He was unsteady on his feet and extremely belligerent. He was calling all of the other adults at the party to come out and fight him. He also offered to fight the responding officers, at which point he was charged with public drunkenness and taken to jail. tNorth Street, 500 block: Police were called to a home at 9 p.m. Sunday after a man said he was beaten and robbed in front of his apartment complex. Through an interpreter, the alleged victim told officers he and a friend were sitting on a fence in front of the apartment when two men he didn’t know appeared. He said they attacked him and began to beat him with a large stick. His friend fled to call police, and the assailants ran away but not before going through the man’s clothes and stealing $125 in cash. The man told officers the same thing had happened to him a month earlier, but he wasn’t sure if it was the same duo who robbed him then. tAugusta Road, 2000 block: A woman called police at 11:30 p.m. Sunday after she said another woman that she knew was threatening to hurt her. The 21-year-old threatened woman said that the 30-year-old caller was angry with her because she had called the older woman’s boyfriend. The younger woman said that the only reason she was in touch with the woman’s boyfriend was because he was the “baby-daddy” of her child, and she had called him to discuss some things about the child. The older woman called the younger woman at work to try and get her into trouble, the younger woman said. She said she knew the older woman before she was dating the baby-daddy and the older woman knew her cell phone number. But she said since the caller had threatened to “come on up in there,” meaning her place of employment, now she was afraid of losing her job as well as getting beat up.

Return to top