Pineville, a historic refuge
Philip Porcher purchased Lawson's Pond and the surrounding land soon after 1800 and turned it into a working cotton farm. Philip left the property to his son, Charles Cordes Porcher (1801- 1877) who built a house on the plantation in 1823.
When Charles C. Porcher died, Lawson's Pond Plantation passed to Peter J. Couturier (1839- 1890) and his wife, Elizabeth (1838- 1898). Peter left the plantation to his son, Elias Francis Couturier (1869- 1932).
Elias married Anna Sinkler Gaillard in 1902. Their son, Elias F. Couturier Jr., inherited Lawson's Pond Plantation at his father's death.
Elias Jr. married Eliza Read Spiers (b. 1921) in 1946. Eliza was born at the nearby Fountain Head Plantation, now covered by Lake Marion. She graduated from Winthrop College and taught at Eutawville and Cross Elementary Schools for 37 years. She is very active in the Church of the Epiphany (Episcopal) in Eutawville. Elias Jr. died in 1973.
The house on Lawson's Pond Plantation has survived the Civil War, the 1886 earthquake (one damaged chimney), the Santee- Cooper Project, and Hurricane Hugo (damaged tin roof and column). It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1977.
(Next week: The Pineville Chapel)